In 1973 Outotec provided the first fluidized bed system in the U.S. to convert biomass to energy. Since then, the company has continued to pioneer disposal of difficult waste materials and provide efficient, economical and environmentally favorable waste-to-energy solutions.
The development of Outotec’s FBC technologies was initially in response to the needs of the forest products and related industries. Many of the basic design features of these technologies were developed to deal with the challenges of combusting wood and other wastes from these industries. This resulted in a simple design that addressed the specific requirements of these industries and their wastes. As a consequence of this initial development, the basic Outotec FBC design is unique in the industry and most adaptable to the challenges of burning fuels with very different handling, preparation, feeding, combustion and emissions characteristics, especially the full range of biomass and waste fuels.
- Fuel diversity – more than 250 different fuels or fuel mixes have been used in Outotec fluidized bed solutions.
- Bed recycle system
- Complete and efficient combustion
- Low Emissions
- Favorable ash properties
- Operating flexibility
The Outotec FBC or Fluidized Bed Thermal Oxidizer for waste fuels benefits from over 40 years experience and 100+ energy cases. This reliable and tested overall design has been improved by combining several design elements especially related to waste fuels. The Outotec Fluidized Bed Thermal Oxidizer utilizes Outotec’s proven and robust boiler design and gas cleaning equipment.
The Outotec FBC works reliably and with high efficiency with wide variety of waste fuels, however it is always designed to meet the Customer fuel specification. This tailoring takes into consideration for example fuel feed equipment, bed cleaning requirements or ash system dimensioning.
Also e.g. the following options can be used to secure the operational reliability even with demanding fuels:
- Air preheating for high moisture and / or low heating value fuels
- In bed and vapor space heat transfer tubing for high heating value fuels
- Exhaust gas recirculation
Over the years Outotec has optimized the design and therefore the following benefits are currently automatically part of every Outotec Fluidized Bed technology package solution:
- Sulfur and other acid components largely neutralized already in the fluidized bed
- Vapor space volume over the fluidized bed is designed to secure complete combustion and low emissions via multi stage secondary air injection
- Optimized chemical feeding points for efficient NOx suppression with minimal chemical consumption
- Multiclones between boiler and economizer section reduce ash load in the baghouse and minimize Dioxin “de novo synthesis” effect and minimize Dioxin emissions
- Staged gas cleaning allows majority of the ash to be extracted as non-hazardous ash, reducing the operational costs
Semi-dry gas cleaning with reduced flue gas treatment chemical consumption and reduced stack plume risk